Finding the best plus-size men’s clothing isn’t as tricky as it used to be—the plus-size market for both men and women has expanded beyond the small, dated and dusty sections in department stores and is readily available at many online retailers.
While more brands are offering inclusive sizing, it doesn’t mean the fit is always the best. We tapped plus-size model and influencer David Fadd for his advice and conducted our own independently research to find the best plus-size men’s clothing, focusing on brands that cater to different fashion styles and shapes. Whether you’re fashion-forward or just starting to expand your wardrobe, we have options for you.
Why Trust Forbes Vetted
When it comes to fashion at Forbes Vetted, we are dedicated to helping readers find the best items for them, so you can look and feel good in your clothing. Over the years, we’ve published dozens of fashion articles covering both men’s and women’s clothing, whether it’s the best chinos for men or the best plus-size clothing for women. Inclusivity is integral to our editorial process and we firmly believe in finding the best garments regardless of size.
Our fashion stories are overseen by Forbes Vetted senior fashion editor Kari Molvar who has over 20 years of experience covering the lifestyle market for print and digital editorial publications. The author of this story, Raena Loper is our former weekend updates editor who has been covering fashion content for almost a decade with a focus on plus-size and inclusive shopping articles. For this piece in particular, she focused on selecting the best plus-size clothing for men, including wardrobe basics, outerwear, streetwear and more.
How We Chose The Best Plus-Size Clothing For Men
To find the best plus-size clothing for men, we first reached out to plus-size fashion model and influencer David Fadd to get tips on what to look for when shopping the plus-size market. We also read through reviews to find the best clothing options that offered extended sizing. Each brand included in our list has sizes from 3XL up and pants sizes up to size 60. Lastly, we narrowed our list by considering key clothing categories men would need to help build their wardrobe, including lounge wear, formal attire and more.
What To Consider For The Plus-Size Mens Clothing
Catering to the plus-size community is more than just re-sizing garments initially designed for smaller bodies. As plus-size model and influencer David Fadd says, “Making clothing that fits appropriately and is true to plus-size sizing is imperative—designers should be intentional about the cut and fit.” Availability in stores is another issue. “Most stores sell up to an XL and a few items in a 2XL if you’re lucky,” says Fadd. “As a person who wears 3XL to 4XL, I can’t just walk into a store and pick up an item, so 90% of my wardrobe is ordered online.” Here’s how to browse smartly online to find the best items:
Fabric: If you’re prone to sweating or tend to get hot, go for materials that help keep you cool. Natural fabrics like bamboo, cotton and linen are breathable and ideal for everyday wear. That said, natural materials can be slightly stiff, so look for something with a little bit of lycra or spandex mixed in to provide stretch.
Fit: How you like to wear your clothing is a personal choice. “I’ve recently started wearing more neoprene because it’s so structured and frames the shoulder well,” says Fadd. If you like a looser fit, consider ordering a size up .“Cozy fashion is the best,” says Fadd, so select something you feel and look good in.
Staples: Fadd likes to invest in classic pieces that can be mixed and matched. For outerwear, he recommends “a long coat, whether trench coat or a Macintosh that can be dressed up or down.” As far as everyday wear, denim is a timeless staple that never goes out of style. “We all need denim, whether it’s a well-fitting pair of straight-leg jeans or an oversized denim jacket; this is essential to everyone,” says Fadd. Finish your look with the right shoes. “Last but not least is a nice chunky shoe or a sneaker— it gives you extra lift and confidence,” he says. “A few of my favorite pairs of shoes are Jadon Dr Martens, Monolith Prada loafers and Alexander McQueen lace-up boots.”
Return Policy: Unfortunately, plus sizes aren’t the same at every retailer, which means you might need to try on a few sizes to find those that work best for you. Our advice: Look for retailers with hassle-free return polices to make things easier.
More Size-Inclusive Clothing Brands For Men
- Diesel: Alternative luxury brand Diesel is known for its jeans and on-trend items. “Diesel’s innovative take on streetwear is also amazing,” says Fadd. The brand has sizing available up to 2XL and is also a great place to pick up accessories like wallets and watches.
- The Winston Box: If you don’t want to shop for individual items from different retailers, The Winston Box is a subscription service for big and tall men that delivers styles directly to your door. Once you complete the profile quiz, Winston stylists select 2 to 3 items for $75, with sizes available up to 6XLT.
- Under Armour: Another excellent athleisure and workout apparel option, Under Armour has pieces that extend in size up to 5XL.
- Wrangler: The rugged American brand is known for its jeans, which it first launched in 1947. You’ll find straight leg, boot cut and slim-fit silhouettes that go up to 54 and 40 lengths.
- Ralph Lauren: The iconic brand is known for its polos and button-down shirts, but most importantly, the brand is also size-inclusive: Ralph Lauren’s Big & Tall line is available up to 6XL.
- Carhartt: The workwear brand has pieces that can be added to your everyday wardrobe, including long sleeve button-up shirts and relaxed fit pants that can be dressed up or down.
- Calvin Klein: From underwear to t-shirts, Calvin Klein is a one-stop destination for basics, which are available up to 5XL.
- Tommy Hilfiger: The popular preppy brand offers closet staples with inclusive sizing—sizes go up to 58 x 32 in pants and 6T in tops.